Dowsil cleaner and primer
Tidy preparations: Certain surfaces have to be treated to ensure an optimal bond between sealant and surface.
First, grease, oils etc. should be removed with special cleaning solvents to retain a dry, dust-free and grease-free surface.
Afterwards a primer is used to enhance the bond between adhesion and surface.
The “two-cloth cleaning method” is a proven technique to clean non-porous surfaces. The use of one cloth to clean a substrate is not a recommended procedure and is not as effective as two cloths. Clean, soft, absorbent, lint-free cloths must be used. This method consists of cleaning the substrate with a solvent saturated cloth followed by a drying wipe with a separate clean cloth. Following is the procedure described in greater detail:
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces of loose debris.
- Pour a small quantity of cleaning solvent into a working container. A clear plastic, solvent resistant, squeeze bottle works best for this purpose. Do not apply solvent directly from the original container.
- Wipe the joint surfaces with sufficient force to remove dirt and contaminants.
- Immediately wipe dry the solvent wet surface of the substrate with a separate clean, dry cloth. The second cloth must wipe the substrate before the solvent has evaporated.
- Visually inspect the second cloth to determine if contaminants were effectively removed. If the second cloth remains dirty, repeat the “two-cloth cleaning method” until the second cloth remains clean. For each subsequent cleaning, rotate each cloth to a clean portion of the cloth. Do not clean with the dirty portion of the cloth. For best results, replace used and dirty cloths frequently.
Although one attempts to develop adhesives and sealants which do not need any special treatment of surfaces - in some instances, a specific cleaner or primer will be required for the silicone sealant to achieve optimal adhesion to a specific substrate. The primer acts as a bonding agent. After using it, the cap of the primer must be closed as quickly as possible to prevent entry of moisture.